Link làm trắc nghiệm online 500 từ vựng miễn phí http://tracnghiemtienganhthpt.vn/luyen-tap/500-tu-vung-362.html
1. The house was burgled while the family was _______ in a card game.
A. buried B. busy C. absorbed D. helping
2. I am sorry that I can’t _______ your invitation.
A. take B. except C. agree D. accept
3. ______ what he says, he wasn’t even there when the crime was committed.
A. Following B. According to C. Hearing D. meaning
4. He has impressed his employers considerably and ______ he is soon to be promoted.
A. nevertheless B. accordingly C. yet D. eventually
5. He gave his listeners a vivid ______ of his journey through Peru.
A. account B. tale C. communication D. plot
6. Will you be taking my precious experience into _______ when you fix my salary?
A. possession B. account C. mind D. scale
7. The policeman stopped him when he was driving home and _______ him of speeding.
A. charged B. accused C. blamed D. arrested
8. His stomach began to _______ because of the bad food he had eaten.
A. pain B. harm C. be hurt D. ache
9. If you _____ money to mine, we shall have enough.
A. add B. combine C. unite D. bank
10. He was full of _______ for her bravery.
A. energy B. admiration C. surprise D. pride
11. This ticket _____ one person to the show.
A. permits B. enters C. delivers D. admits
12. The cow had lost its own calf. but the farmer persuaded it to _______ one whose mother had died.
A. choose B. adopt C. undertake D. collect
13. If we _______ the plan you suggest, we are more likely to be successful.
A. elect B. command C. vote D. adopt
14. Science has made great _____ during the past 30 years.
A. motions B. advances C. advantages D. opportunities
15. He was a much older tennis player but he had the great ______ of experience.
A. advantage B. deal C. value D. profit
16. I had quite ______ on my way to work this morning.
A. an experiment B. an adventure C. a happening D. an affair
17. He always studies the ______ in the paper ashe wants to find a good second-hand car.
A. advertisements B. publicity C. announcements D. publication
18. On my present salary, I just can’t________ a car which costs over $3.000.
A. pretend B. elect C. afford D. adopt
19. The girl’s father _____ to buy her a car if she passed her examination.
A. admitted B. accepted C. agreed D. approved
20. They are twins and look very _______.
A. alike B. same C. likely D. identical
21. As a result of their ______ the three small independent countries felt less afraid of their powerful neighbour.
A. combination B. alliance C. partnership D. union
22. When he was a student, his father gave him a monthly ______ towards his expenses.
A. salary B. permission C. allowance D. wage
23. Is anyone _______ to fish in this river?
A. borne B. allowed C. admitted D. passed
24. His _______ had always been to become an architect.
A. study B. ambition C. imagination D. direction
25. The ______ of ice-cream sold increases sharply in the summer months.
A. account B. amount C. number D. size
26. If you are bitten by a poisonous snake.it is necessary to be given an ______ as quickly as possible.
A. analgesic B. antibiotic C. antiseptic D. antidote
27. I’ m ________ to get the tickets for the show today, as there are hardly any left.
A. worried B. curious C. anxious D. troubled
28. The child was told to ______ for being rude to his uncle.
A. excuse B. apologize C. punish D. confess
29. He is ______ a very old man but infact he is only fifty.
A. apparently B. evidently C. obviously D. actually
30. As a result of the radio _____ for help for the earthquake victims, over a million pounds has been raised.
A. appeal B. call C. programme D. advertisement
31. Let me know if any difficulties _______.
A. arise B. come C. rise D. happen
32. Could you please _______ an appointment for me to see Mr. Smith?
A. manage B. arrange C. take D. have
33. The police _______ her for helping the murderer to escape.
A. caught B. searched C. brought D. arrested
34. When John _____ in London he went to see the Houses of Parliament.
A. came B. reached C. arrived D. got
35. I read an interesting _______ in a newspaper about farming today.
A. article B. advertisement C. composition D. explanation
36. Students are expected to ______ their classes regularly.
A. assist B. frequent C. attend D. present
37. Before you sign anything important, pay careful _____ to all the conditions.
A. notice B. attention C. regards D. reference
38. In the central region the dry season is long and severe, and the ______ annual rainfall is only about 70 cm.
A. refreshing B. general C. average D. greatest
39. The bicycle was moving so fast that its rider could not ______ an accident.
A. leave B. avoid C. miss D. overtake
40. As soon as the children were _____ , their mother got them out of bed and into the bathroom.
A. woke B. wake C. awake D. waken
41. This ____ is not big enough to cut down a tree.
A. axe B. hammer C. screw D. knife
42. In the market, the merchants _______ and joked with their friends and neighbours.
A. bargained B. gardened C. bearded D. changed
43. He couldn’t ____ the thought of leaving his home town for ever.
A. think B. bear C. carry D. hold
44. The room was so quiet that she could hear the _____ of her heart.
A. beating B. tapping C. knocking D. striking
45. Through a mixture of greed and intelligence, he has ______ the biggest landowner in the whole district.
A. grown B. developed C. become D. increased
46. The damage done to my house by the fire has now _______.
A. done good B. been made good C. made me good D. been for good
47. The children will not be allowed to come withus if they don’t _______ themselves better.
A. direct B. behave C. declare D. compose
48. He has adopted three orphans ____his own six children so that, all together, he has nine children to provide for.
A. besides B. except C. beside D. in place of
49. The two scientists disagreed and a _______ argument developed.
A. wet B. bitter C. salty D. sour
50. The weather was ______ the exceptionally poor harvest.
A. blamed for B. condemned for C. accused of D. criticized for
51. If you are so senseless as to go on long walks in tight fitting shoes, you mustexpect to get _________ .
A. scars B. bruises C. blisters D. spots
52. After lunch I felt ______ enough to ask my boss for rise.
A. strong B. bold C. encouraged D. bald
53. It is a very popular play, and it would be wise ______ seats well in advance.
A. occupy B. book C. buy D. preserve
54. She began to feel nervous when the train pulled up at the _____ between Austria and Yugoslavia.
A. edge B. bar C. border D. division
55. When the bill came, he had to _____ money from his brother to pay it.
A. borrow B. lend C. loan D. let
56. The toy boat turned over and sank to the _______ of the pool.
A. basis B. bottom C. ground D. depth
57. The ball ______ two or three times before rolling down the slope.
A. bounced B. sprang C. leapt D. skipped
58. The bus ran over the cliff because its _______ failed.
A. brakes B. controls C. gears D. signals
59. The ______ of the bank where he worked was not in the centre of the city.
A. seat B. quarter C. branch D. piece
60. Large waves were ______ on the seashore.
A. going B. running C. hitting D. breaking
61. ______ up children properly is mainly their parents’ duty.
A. Rearing B. Breeding C. Raising D. Bringing
62. Several prisoners _______ from their guards and escaped.
A. broke away B. broke out C. broke through D. broke down
63. The specialist was under so much stress that he finally ________.
A. broke off B. broke down C. broke out D. broke in
64. Well-mannered children have usually been properly _____ by their parents.
A. raised up B. borne up C. brought up D. put up
65. The audience waited until the curtain had risen and then _____ into applause.
A. flooded B. cheered C. started D. burst
66. When she heard from the hospital the father had died, she ______ into tears.
A. burst B. exploded C. fell D. melted
67. If you put too many potatoes in that paper-bag it will ______.
A. explode B. crack C. burst D. overcrowd
68. Every day thousands of ______ fly the Atlantic for negotiations with American firms.
A. merchants B. dealers C. businessmen D. tradesmen
69. As there was a power cut inthe hospital, the surgeon had to _____ the operation.
A. call for B. call on C. call off D. call out
70. The book ___ two weeks ago.
A. came across B. came by C. came into D. came out
71. The country has a system of ______, most of which date from the nineteenth century.
A. channels B. rivers C. streams D. canals
72. As we wait no longer for the delivery of your order, we have to ______ it.
A. postpone B. refuse C. return D. cancel
73. He’s not ______ of learning German in six months.
A. interested B. inclined C. able D. capable
74. Bill doesn’t _____ what people say about him.
A. care B. matter C. disturb D. depend
75. Do you mind if I ______ with my workwhile you are getting tea ready?
A. turn to B. carry out C. come on D. carry on
76. He spoke so quickly that I didn’t ______ what he said.
A. receive B. accept C. listen D. catch
77. The flat we have rented is very_______ for the underground station.
A. convenient B. suitable C. comfortable D. distant
78. It isn’t quite ______ that he will be present at the meeting.
A. right B. exact C. certain D. formal
79. If your bicycle ______ comes off, it is almost impossible te put it back on without getting oil on your hands.
A. ring B. belt C. steel D. chain
80. If you ever have the ______ to go abroad to work, you should take it.
A. possibility B. offer C. chance D. event
81. The fog made it difficult for the driverto see when the traffic lights _____.
A. adjusted B. moved C. changed D. removed
82. How much would you ______ for repairing my watch?
A. charge B. cost C. spend D. demand
83. he was _______ with murder.
A. accused B. charged C. sentenced D. convicted
84. lawyers often make higher _____ for their work than they should.
A. charges B. prices C. costs D. rents
85. The customs officer didn’tbother to _______ our luggage.
A. control B. check C. discover D. glance
86. Some of the older villagers prefer to ______ tobacco rather than to smoke it.
A. munch B. crunch C. chew D. gnaw
87. The autumn air felt _____ so she went to fetch a coat.
A. cool B. chill C. tepid D. chilly
88. I’m afraid you have no _____ but to come along with us.
A. permission B. choice C. selection D. election
89. Her husband felt it would be silly to ______ the colour ofthe curtains before they had painted the room.
A. change B. find C. choose D. lose
90. The terrified hunter, ______ in the arms of a huge bear, fought desperately to loosen its grip.
A. clutched B. clasped C. grasped D. clinging
91. I shall never manage to beat John at tennis; we are clearly not in the same ______.
A. set B. band C. class D. order
92. The teacher _________ the harder parts of the story.
A. cleared away B. cleared out C. cleared up D. cleared off
93. The sky looks lighter. I think the weather is ______.
A. clearing away B. clearing C. bettering D. clearing up
94. He wrote his name ______ and carefully at the top of the paper.
A. largely B. attentively C. obviously D. clearly
95. These trees cannot be grown in such a cold ________ as ours.
A. weather B. climate C. season D. space
96. He took a _______ with him to clean the windscreen of his car.
A. garment B. cloth C. clothing D. towel
97. As the fat man sat down, the deck chair ______ under him, with a loud noise of tearing canvas.
A. fell B. fainted C. sank D. collapsed
98. He always wore a shirt with an open ________.
A. colour B. tie C. collar D. tail
99. The presently accepted theory of light _______ someof the ideas of both earlier theories.
A. designs B. composes C. reacts D. combines
100. Very few scientists _______ with completelynew answers to the world’s problems.
A. come to B. come round C. come up D. come in
101. If you have a _____ to make about the food, I am willing to listen.
A. dislike B. trouble C. complaint D. discontent
102. He said he had every _____ in his secretary; she would do the right thing.
A. belief B. dependence C. knowledge D. confidence
103. She was afraid that unless the train speeded up sle would lose lose her _____ to Scotland.
A. ticket B. seat C. carriage D. connection
104. Tom was a highly ______ teacher who took his duties seriously but he had neither the personality nor ability
to achieve much success.
A. conscientious B. efficient C. capable D. talented
105. I was not ______ that I had cut myself until I saw the blood all over my hand .
A. familiar B. awake C. astonished D. conscious
106. She has lost her handbag with the _____ sum of $1300 in it.
A. extraordinary B. considerable C. valuable D. worthwhile
107. I have always _____ you my best friend.
A. regarded B. considered C. trusted D. hoped
108. She opened the packet and emptied the ______ into a saucepan.
A. fullness B. container C. refills D. contents
109. The road lay ahead of him, a(n) _____ grey line stretching to the horizon.
A. continual B. constant C. eternal D. continuous
110. In the capitalist countries, the rising _______ of living is as hard on countryfamilies as on city families.
A. amount B. cost C. expense D. price
111. There was a _______ of parchment as the solicitor unrolled the will written on it.
A. rattle B. crackle C. creak D. clink
112. They lay almost flat and ______ through the tubelike underground passage.
A. crouched B. crawled C. glided D. scrambled
113. You should iron out the ______ in that dress.
A. creases B. pleats C. folds D. wrinkles
114. A narrow road ______ the stream to the other side of the park.
A. joins B. crosses C. unites D. jumps
115. After a tiring ______ by boat, we reached the island.
A. course B. crossing C. sail D. motion
116. Her skirt had been so ______ in packing that she had to iron it before going out.
A. faded B. torn C. dirty D. crushed
117. If I take this medicine twice a day, it should ______ my cold.
A. heal B. cure C. restore D. recover
118. The new car at the motor-show was a very _______ shape.
A. curious B. formal C. large D. broad
119. The headlights of the approaching car were so ________ that the cyclist had to stop riding.
A. gleaming B. dazzling C. blazing D. glittering
120. People who live in a small village are bound to see a good _____ of each other.
A. quantity B. deal C. amount D. degree
121. When he was questioned about the missing ring, hefirmly _____ that he had even seen it.
A. defied B. accused C. refused D. denied
122. When the other car hit mine, it made a huge _______ in my rear bumper.
A. hollow B. depression C. mark D. dent
123. On Sunday the business centre of the city was usually quite _______.
A. deserted B. unpopular C. unattended D. alone
124. Ann is so _______ to succeed that I am sure nothing will stop her.
A. determined B. willing C. patient D. obvious
125. The hall seemed _______ lit after the bright sunshine outside.
A. faintly B. vaguely C. obscurely D. dimly
126. As one of the four ______ of the company, he often had to attend Board meetings.
A. managers B. directors &n